There are distinctive elements of Paul Cezanne’s work that go far beyond his use of colour to represent form. He had a way of presenting different viewpoints in his compositions that was and is exciting. This is something that Henri Matisse continued to explore while allowing the paint to become colour fields of flat surfaces. At one point in the of the development of this work I had a choice. I could continue to build up the colour fields or I could continue to follow the light and movement within the still life. Matisse of course was arguing for letting paint be paint in its colour and simplicity. Cezanne was slowly working his way into the tension of form and structure of the still life using colour as his guide. I observed. I thanked the masters. Then I picked up my brush and continued to paint the light and movement between the forms until the painting came to rest.
AUGUST STILL LIFE WITH CEZANNE AND MATISSE – 36 x 24 inch oil on canvas
Detailed view and purchase information HERE.
More about the background on this painting is available in my Creative Potager process blog at “Golden Plums Summer Flowers with Rilke Cezanne and Matisse”
ONLINE GALLERIES include –
ArtWork Archive original paintings and acrylic sketches
Redbubble photography and painting prints and merchandise
Work in progress BLOG –
Creative Potager – first place new work is unveiled. Subscribe to stay current.
CONTACT THE ARTIST DIRECTLY
If desired, original work can often be purchased directly from Terrill Welch. Please contact Terrill for personalized service.
© 2013 Terrill Welch, All rights reserved.
- Golden Plums Summer Flowers with Rilke Cezanne and Matisse (creativepotager.wordpress.com)
- Recent sales of Terrill Welch oil paintings and pending price increase (terrillwelchartist.com)
- Seaside Mayne Island oil painting study by Terrill Welch (terrillwelchartist.com)
- Revealed: interview that Henri Matisse banned (guardian.co.uk)
- Long Beach Vancouver Island June 2013 oil painting (terrillwelchartist.com)